Saturday, April 5, 2008

Finally


Finally our canoe camping trip was a canoe camping trip. The river began to emerge from behind the shouts, fireworks and passerbyers who decided to stop on our beach to piss. As the sun went down, our faces orange with campfire, the machinery we've been trying to escape began to subside.
Unstuffing our tents from their sack, I was over come with the sounds of tent poles and zippers wailing, the first couple snaps and pops from the fire, the cracking can of beer, feet over dirt, the river gurgling against the sand of the beach.
Unstuffing my sleeping bag the slight thump of stereos and fireworks in the distance were drowned out by the hollering in my stomach. And I smiled, cause no matter what was happening around me........we had food, REAL FOOD!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why is it the rowdies drawn to rivers like moths to a light? Looking forward to your food post. Camp cooking is an art form unto itself.